Seller: oceanliner (3,934) 100%, Location: Mesa, Arizona, Ships to: Worldwide, Item: 363003141684 GEORGIC White Star Line "Emergency Stations" Deck Plan. In 1942, the first of over 1.5 million American servicemen arrived on British shores in preparation for the Allied offensives against Germany during the Second World War. Built at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, the MV Georgic was the last ship built for the White Star Line before its merger with the Cunard Line. The BRITANNIC was launched on 6th August 1929 and she left Belfast for three days of trials in the Firth of Clyde on 26th May 1930. The BRITANNIC alongside her berth at Pier 92, New York, as the. On 28th June 1930 the BRITANNIC left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to New York, calling at Belfast and Greenock, after which she settled down on her designed route with the CEDRIC, BALTIC and ADRIATIC. Do you have 5 minutes to help us improve our website? On the following day a strong north-westerly gale rendered the wallowing GEORGIC almost unmanageable. On 22nd May 1948 the BRITANNIC left Liverpool on her first post-war commercial voyage to New York and she continued on this route for the next twelve years. By using this site, you accept the use of cookies on your device. The Georgic slowly settled by the stern onto the shallow reef and was left to burn out over the next two days, by which time the ship was half submerged, the engine room flooded, and the superstructure, gutted by the fire, was a blackened, twisted shell. The BRITANNIC photographed in the Mersey in 1958, ______________________________________________________________, Built by Harland & Wolff at Belfast in 1930. She left Liverpool for New York, via Cobh, for the last time on 11th November 1960. Georgic then left Bombay for the UK on 20 January 1943, arriving at Liverpool on 1 March, having completed the entire journey unescorted at an average speed of 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph). One comment was that her engine room was so cool that it had to be fitted with radiators for winter warmth! He said: This website uses cookies to improve functionality. Georgic's passenger capacities were given as 479 Cabin class, 557 Tourist class and 506 Third class. The naming of the first two classes could hardly have been more absurd - 'cabin' class obviously suggests that the other passengers did not have cabins, and 'tourist-third-cabin', a mixture of all three, would suggest that all the passengers, other than those travelling in the premier 'cabin' class, were a third-rate crowd of tourists. Work started on Britannic in 1927 and she was launched in 1929, work started on Oceanic in 1928, and the keel was laid, however financial problems meant that work on Oceanic was stopped in July 1929 and the project cancelled. The BRITANNIC (left) is lying on Cunard's New York berth. QUEEN MARY is assisted into her berth at Pier 90 by Matson tugs. Her hull was divided into eight holds by twelve main bulkheads. Like Britannic, Georgic had two short stumpy funnels, the forward one of which was a dummy which housed the radio room and the engineers smoke room. Built at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, the MV Georgic was the last ship built for the White Star Line before its merger with the Cunard Line.She was the running mate of Britannic.Like Britannic, Georgic was a motorship, and not a steamer, fitted with a diesel powerplant. Beginning on 29 December, they first towed Georgic to Port Sudan taking 13 days. Only two of the White Star Line's passenger ships were suitable for further service with the Cunard Line. The solution was to provide finance to complete the two Cunard Queens, and to amalgamate the two companies. The BRITANNIC received a solemn reception as she sailed up to Princes Landing Stage to disembark her 353 passengers. Here Georgic underwent further repairs lasting eight weeks to make her seaworthy for the longer voyage to Karachi. Free exhibitions held in venues, which do not charge an entry fee. She would be the second White Star ship to bear the name Georgic; an earlier SS Georgic had served the company between 1895 and 1916. Georgic's final voyage was from Hong Kong to Liverpool in November 1955, carrying 800 troops, when she arrived on 19 November, she was withdrawn from service. Captain W.B. The White Star liners BRITANNIC (1931) and GEORGIC (1932) became part of the Cunard White Star Line fleet after the merger of 1934. The BRITANNIC being assisted by Alexandra tugs from her berth, in Liverpool's Gladstone Dock into the river entrance lock. whilst the SYLVANIA (right) is on the Canadian berth. The following month Georgic arrived at Faslane for breaking up. This was on top of the already very onerous settlement agreed with the unions which in itself meant the addition of about £750,000 to the Company's annual crew wages bill. [2], On 22 May 1941, Georgic left Glasgow under the command of Captain A.G. Greig with the 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division bound for Port Tewfik in the Gulf of Suez via the Cape. ___________________________________________________________, Built by Harland & Wolff at Belfast in 1932. One week later on 14 July 1941, while she was anchored off Port Tewfik waiting to embark 800 Italian detainees, German aircraft, sweeping the waterway for targets, spotted her and proceeded to attack. Only the tugs which brought her in were dressed overall in honour of this last voyage. In January 1956 the GEORGIC was sold for demolition and on 1st February arrived at Faslane for scrapping by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd.  <<<<<<<>>>>>>>, The GEORGIC as she appeared in the post-war years, ______________________________________________________________________. In January 1955 the MoT announced that Georgic would be withdrawn from service and put up for sale by August of that year: By this stage Georgic's war-scarred machinery was proving troublesome. Fire broke out on all five decks, fed by fuel oil escaping from a rup­tured tank in the double bottom.